DE LIETO Palace | Museum | Maratea
Palazzo De Lieto - the Maratea Museum
In 1800 the Maratea Hospital became a district and in the following century it was moved to the former convent of the Paolotti (see St. Francis Church). The palace was then home to elementary schools until the mid 1960s, so it was unused until its restoration in the 1990s, becoming the property of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and used them precisely for cultural activities and museum exhibitions.
The building retains the impressive stone portal with a large wooden door overhanged by stone and tuff architraves and is located on a large rock spur in the historic center of Maratea, near the Mother Church. Palazzo De Lieto is spread over two floors, characterized by the presence of large halls and on the upper floor also with long loggias, divided by arches with piedritti worked.
PERMANENT: Marine archeology
The most conspicuous part of the exhibition is a collection of anchors and anchor circles from the "Santo Janni" deposit made up of over 60 artifacts from the second century BC to the second century AD, perhaps the largest deposit in the Mediterranean. There are also maritime transport amphorae always from the Roman era and the bone finds of animals recovered in a cave in Marina di Maratea, dating back to the Pleistocene period.
Pinacoteca Angelo Brando
The Museum of Palazzo De Lieto also houses the Pinacoteca dedicated to the artist Angelo Brando, a native of the city.
The artist's paintings are kept on the ground floor, in a permanent exhibition consisting of 34 works covering the time span 1909 - 1946), to which four other paintings, two plaster sculptures, scattered sheets of a notebook of drawings and some relics that belonged to the artist's family, all on loan from their respective owners.
USEFUL INFO FOR VISITING
Days and opening hours:
Weekly Closure: Sunday
Reservation Required: None
Phone for appointments and requests to visit: +39 0973 877676
Managed by: POLO MUSEALE DELLA BASILICATA
Maratea's Fine Arts Management Center