Calvario | Curch | old town
Calvario [Calvary] Church
The small church of Calvario, privately owned, is located at the foot of the village, the historic center of Maratea, in the district called Molo Piccolo.
The original title of the church, in fact, was of S. Maria de Mare Piccolo, later changed to S. Cataldo and later to the current one.
It is tradition that the church, in ancient times, was used for the burial of abortions.
CHIESA DEL CALVARIO DI MARATEA
Works of art in the Church
Inside the Church of Calvary in Maratea there is a beautiful fresco, dated 1495, of the Madonna with Child, flanked by S. Cataldo and S. Giovanni Battista, signed by Giovanni Palumbo da Chiaromonte.
At the entrance there is a kiosk, representing the Madonna with Child and Saints Bishops, dated 1548.
Visit the CHURCH OF CALVARY
To reach the Church:
Leave your car in one of the car parks of Piazza Europa or Largo Monastero [Addresses to be entered in the navigator] and continue on foot.