Annunciation Church (of the Annunziata)  | HISTORICAL CENTER OF MARATEA

The Church of the Annunciation in Piazza Buraglia


The Church of the Annunciation is located in the Piazza del Borgo, the historic center of Maratea, and is recognizable by its Moorish bell tower and its monumental façade, which completes the scenography of the city course together with the marble column of S. Biagio, simple monument erected , by will of the people, July 13, 1758.
The church of the Annunziata in Maratea existed in the chapel as early as the 16th century.
In 1585 he was at the center of a lively ecclesiastical litigation with the parish priest of S. Maria Maggiore, solved only in 1589 with the elevation of this church to the right of baptism.
The current architectural structure is the result of the works of 1748, concluded with the solemn Mass celebrated by the Marateot bishop Onofrio Maria Gennari.


Works of art in the Church


L’interno della chiesa, un piccolo gioiello di barocco povero lucano, conserva una bellissima tela raffigurante S. Lucia, opera di un autore ignoto del 1755, e un dipinto del martirio di S. Lorenzo, datato al XVIII secolo. 

Sull’altare dedicato al santo patrono, si trova il busto ligneo di San Biagio, dei primi anni del XIX secolo, usato per la celebrazione dell’armistizio dell’assedio di Maratea Castello del 1806. 

L’opera d’arte principale della chiesa è però la splendida tela dell’Annunciazione, di scuola toscana, attribuita a Simone da Firenze, datata al XVI secolo, che orna il presbiterio e l’altare maggiore, in marmo, posto sotto una graziosa cupola ornata con degli affreschi degli evangelisti. 

Visita la Chiesa Annunziata

Per raggiungere la Chiesa: 

Zona pedonale; lasciare l'auto in uno dei parcheggi del Centro Storico e proseguire a piedi.