Castle of Castrocucco of Maratea
CASTROCUCCO , A DIP IN HISTORY
A visit to the Castle of Castrocucco of Maratea, to the discovery the fortified village
(Medium difficulty walking tour)
the map of the area
The site has been under the protection of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage since 2005 but still is not sufficiently known or valued today.
It is a pity because it is remarkable what we can still find of the ancient urban system: the wrecks of the walls and some twenty buildings are visible, including a watchtower and the church of St. Peter, where there are crypts with the original paintings Still partially visible despite the millennial erosive action of atmospheric agents and saltwater.
Over the years, the Castle, built allegedly at the turn of the millennium, developed as part of an urban system with the outside of the wall of the colony houses.
Probably the Castle, and the surrounding hamlet originally built for defensive needs in a highly impervious and difficult to reach position, was abandoned to come to less than the dangers, typically from the sea, such as Saracen pirates.
In this regard nothing is known of its origins apart from the fact that it was incorporated into a fief constituted in 1470 by King Ferrante and was entrusted to a certain Galeotto Pascale, to whom the title of Baron of Castrocucco's ruined and uninhabited castle was given.
THE BARONAL PALACE ON THE SEA
In the second half of 1600 the property passed to the Baroni Labanchi with the Castle already in ruin and uninhabited, so they took possession of the nearby baronale palace, built on the cliff at Secca di Castrocucco and provided with a natural miniature port.